We will be partnering with The University of Georgia, Dalton State and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to provide free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) services for simple returns again in 2017. This is the 11th year of this partnership that provides practical experience for UGA students majoring in Financial Planning and Accounting. Students who enroll and participate earn academic credit for their efforts.
The IRS trains UGA and Dalton State students as tax preparers and Georgia United Credit Union provides the office space and funding – benefiting local consumers by having their taxes prepared and filed electronically at no charge!
***PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING AN APPOINTMENT***
1. Review all information below before scheduling an appointment to ensure you will have the information required to complete the return by the appointment time selected.
2. For married filing joint, both taxpayer and the taxpayer spouse must be present to sign the return.
3. The VITA program is open to all low and moderate income taxpayers who do not have depreciable assets, business losses, extensive stock transactions, or are required to file as a “Non-Resident”.
4. A quick reference guide to IRS limitations is available at irs.gov/, search publication 3676-B.
5. You may qualify for “Free Tax” and file your return using IRS approved software. Click here
To reserve an appointment:
Athens: Sessions will be held at Georgia United Credit Union’s 190 Gaines School Road branch in Athens. Sessions will be available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, beginning January 24 through April 13, and on Saturdays, January 28 through April 8. Click here to reserve your appointment or call 1.888.493.4328 extension 1486.
Dalton: Sessions will be held at Georgia United Credit Union’s 605 Calhoun Street branch in Dalton. Appointments available Friday evenings and Saturdays, January 27 through March 11. Click here to reserve your appointment or call 1.888.493.4328 extension 3986.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION to bring for your appointment:
VITA sites will have new software in 2017 so we will not be able to access previous year’s returns. So, please be sure and bring the following with you:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse and/or dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration.
- Your birth date and birth dates of your spouse and/or dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks or credit unions (Forms 1099)
- Records of earnings (Forms 1099 and/or cash) from self-employment and expenses related to self-employment income.
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns. If not available, you can obtain a Tax Return Transcript at IRS.gov/transcript and download a copy of your federal return immediately.
- Documents supporting itemized deductions, child/dependent care, etc., where applicable.
- Bank routing and transit number and your account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Healthcare Statements