• VITA Tax Prep

    VITA Tax Filing Assistance

VITA Tax Filing Assistance

Need Assistance with Preparing Your Taxes?

We will be partnering with The University of Georgia, Dalton State and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to provide free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) services for simple returns again in 2016. This is the 10th year of this partnership that provides practical experience for UGA students majoring in Financial Planning and Accounting. Students who enroll and participate earn academic credit for their efforts. 


The IRS trains UGA and Dalton State students as tax preparers and Georgia United Credit Union provides the office space and funding – benefiting local consumers by having their taxes prepared and filed electronically at no charge! 

The VITA program is open to all low and moderate income taxpayers who do not have depreciable assets, business losses, or extensive stock transactions. 


To reserve an appointment:

  • Athens: Sessions will be held at Georgia United Credit Union’s 190 Gaines School Road branch in Athens. Sessions will be available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, beginning January 26 through April 13, and on Saturdays, January 30 through April 19. Click here to reserve your appointment or call (706) 227-5400, extension 6486.
  • Dalton: Sessions will be held at Georgia United Credit Union’s 605 Calhoun Street branch in Dalton. Appointments available January 22 through March 11. Click here to reserve your appointment or call (706) 278-0254.

What to bring:

  • Proof of identification
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and/or dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Your birth date and birth dates of your spouse and/or dependents
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks or credit unions (Forms 1099)
  • Records of earnings (Forms 1099 and/or cash) from self-employment and expenses related to self-employment income.
  • Documents supporting itemized deductions, child/dependent care, etc., where applicable.
  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
  • Bank routing and transit number and your account numbers for Direct Deposit 
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Healthcare Statements