If you ever receive a call or email from someone asking for personal information, pump the brakes—scammers can make it look like they’re from your financial institution with malicious intent. It’s highly effective and one-way scammers are trying to trick people into giving away personal information.
Georgia United will never call or email you and ask you for personal information. This includes information like your Social Security number, passwords, PIN numbers or your card expiration dates.
Protect Yourself From Fraud
Here are a few ways that you can protect yourself from being a victim of fraud:
- Never trust caller ID. By changing their call ID, scammers can easily make it look like they're calling from your financial institution.
- Use your Mobile App. With your login credentials and biometrics like Touch ID, Georgia United's Mobile App is one of the securest ways to check your account information.
- Set alerts. Want to know if your balance goes above or below a certain amount or when a transaction is over $100? Set up alerts in Online Banking.
- Keep a password lock on your phone. This will help to protect your information should you ever lose your phone.
- Use secure wireless (WiFi) networks. Because public networks are more vulnerable to security risks, it's best to use a secure network to access your accounts online.
- Monitor your recent account history for unauthorized transactions. Simply log in to your Mobile App or use Text Banking to quickly check balances and see transaction history.
- Take advantage of Free ID Theft Protection. Members with a Georgia United Unified Checking Account receive free identity theft protection with CyberScout*. To learn more about CyberScout* and identity theft protection for your Georgia United Checking Account, contact our Member Care Center at 888.493.4328 option 3 or visit your local branch.
If you think you may be a victim of fraud, call us at 888.493.4328.
You can also freeze your card 24/7 in Online Banking. From the navigation, select 'Cards' and click 'Manage Cards'. Choose the card you want to deactivate and select 'Freeze Card'. To order a new card, call 888.493.4328 or visit your nearest branch location.
*The above links will direct you to a website owned and operated by a third party. By clicking on a link, you will leave our website. Links are provided for your information and convenience only. Georgia United Credit Union is not responsible for these websites or their content and availability.